Thursday, February 28, 2008

A great one I missed

I bought so many crappy albums in 2006 that I have to kick myself for missing this one: I'm listening to the album Yellow House by Grizzly Bear. I love it. It's kind of like a creepy, suicidal version of Sufjan Stevens Michigan. Some of the songs are kind of shapeless meanderings ("Lullabye", "Little Brother"), but these songs do a great job linking together brilliant building epics like "Knife" and "Plans". This album has that hypnotic mind-drifting feel to it that you'd find on Sea Change by Beck or Ys by Johanna Newsom; therefore, I don't recommend you play this one while driving. It's more of a half-drunk, half-asleep kind of disc.

I love the use of Beach Boys' harmonies and Tom Waits' instrumentation: lots of banjo, horns, harpsicord, and so on. My only complaint about this album is crappy production. It isn't as big of an issue for guitar-drums-vocals albums, but stuff like this needs clarity to hear all of the moving parts.

Anyway, it's a great listen. Give it a try if you like Sufjan Stevens but don't find him depressing enough.

No comments: