Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Vince Gill

I take back some of the bad things I've said about popular country music. I recently borrowed Vince Gill's These Days and spent about 5 days listening to it in all its 4 CD, 43 song glory. The depth of this album is amazing: pop, rock, blues, country, bluegrass, jazz, folk; it's a lot of ground to cover, and he divides it into four thematic discs to make it easier.

(I only have one major complaint about this album: why did he make one disc of power ballads and call it "The Groovy Record"? I missed something here.)

Are the lyrics corny and too safe? Of course - it's still country music. But after hearing this album, along with Brad Paisley's 5th Gear, Miranda Lambert's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and Loretta Lynn's Van Lear Rose (why doesn't Jack White do a country album?), I've found a lot of good reasons to care about country radio in the past few years.

If you like versitile songwriters and you have 30 bucks to kill, I highly recommend These Days by Vince Gill. Before long, you might find yourself not hating country radio anymore. Plus, rock radio has been dead for ten years now, so try something new.

No comments: