Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"I'm Not There"

I'm usually not a big fan of soundtracks, various artists compilations, or tribute albums, but I can't stop listening to the "I'm Not There" soundtrack. First of all, it's all Bob Dylan songs. And just take a look at the musicians: Hold Steady, Sonic Youth, Joe Henry, Stephen Malkmus, Eddie Vedder, Cat Power, Sufjan Stevens, members of Wilco, members of Television... and so on. What's even more amazing is the fact that this all works: there are a few average performances, but there isn't a bad one in 34 songs.

Here's a few highlights:

"Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window?" by the Hold Steady - They make this sound like one of their own: bitter, loud, and hilarious.

"Pressing On" by John Doe - This is the guy from the punk band X? Doing a beautiful gospel song that makes me want to go to church? Really?

"Ring Them Bells" by Sufjan Stevens - Strange rhythm shifts, strange instrumentation... its Sufjan. I wouldn't have it any other way.

"Can't Leave Her Behind" by Stephen Malkmus and Lee Ranaldo - I think these guys need to do more songs together.

"Just Like Tom Thumb Blues" by Ramblin' Jack Elliot - The old guy steps in and shows everybody how it's done (he's 10 years older than Dylan). My personal favorite.

Spend some time with this album; every performance is worth hearing (yes, even Jack Johnson can be tolerated for a few minutes). Now if I could just find a place that shows this movie!

No comments: