Sunday, February 17, 2008

REM

I've been on a big REM binge for the past few days for two reasons: 1.) they have a new album out in April and 2.) Blender magazine did one of those "Back Catalog" deals where they reviewed all of REM's albums. I think my being excited about REM has a lot more to do with the Blender article than the new album. For longtime hardcore REM fans, there isn't much left to be excited about.

But why not? Isn't this band due for an artistic comeback? Bruce Springsteen and U2 had one. I refuse to believe that REM don't have another great album to offer. This band gave us three stunning masterpieces (Document, Murmur, Automatic for the People), several more great albums (Reckoning, Out Of Time, Monster, Life's Rich Pageant), and even a couple of underrated gems as they were winding down (New Adventure's in Hi-Fi, Up). Are they doomed to release crap like Reckoning and Around the Sun every few years as they fade into celebrity hell? This is one of the greatest bands of the 80s AND one of the greatest bands of the 90s!

I heard the new single, and I was not excited. Maybe their next album will be the comeback. I'll keep hoping.

No comments: