Thursday, March 20, 2008

Random albums I'm listening to non-stop

Vince Gill - These Days: I originally borrowed this album from a library and ripped it to my computer. A few weeks later, i shelled out $25 for it just to own it. It is that good. All 43 songs of it. The second disc is still my favorite, but there is something for every mood here, and brilliant songwriting to back it up. (Best tracks: "Love's Standin'", "No Easy Way", "Sweet Little Corrina", "A River Like You")

Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero: I think I underestimated this one. Trent finally discovers lyrical focus; he also discovers some strange instrumentation, such as the bells in "The Good Soldier" and the horns in "Capital G". A year ago, I was ready to give up on NIN. Now, I'll be first in line for Year Zero: Part 2 later this year. (Best tracks: "Capital G", "Zero-Sum", "The Beginning of the End", "God Given")

Kanye West - Late Registration: I think this one will age better than just about any rap album this decade. Jon Brion contributes orchestrations to this 70 minute plus epic that doesn't peak until near the end: the most memorable parts for me are the trio of "Hey Mama", "Celebration", and "Gone". It's a celebration, bitches! (Best tracks: "Heard 'Em Say", "Crack Music", "Celebration", "Addiction")

No comments: