Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Heart of the City Tour

I've been to a lot of concerts in the past few years, but none of the prepared me for what I saw last night: Jay-Z and Mary J. Blige at Amway Arena in Orlando, Florida. Part of the fun was that I have never been to a hip-hop show; I had no idea what to expect. Who will go on first? Will there be a band, or just a turntable setup? How long do they perform? How clear will the vocals be? I had no idea.

It didn't take long for me to get it. After a brief video intro, a curtain went up and there sat a band with at least 18 members: drums, guitars, trumpets, violins - just about everything. Mary J and Jay-Z took their time walking out there, until the beat dropped and they jumped into a stunning duet of "Can't Knock The Hustle". This was the kind of cathartic moment I thought was only possible at an Arcade Fire or U2 show.

Mary's set was loose and unrestrained. The bouncy-as-ever "Real Love" was a highlight, where Jay-Z added a frantic 15-second verse. "No More Drama" was even more dramatic than on record, which I didn't think could be possible. Some of her more recent material dragged a little, but the call-and-response chorus of "You Know" reminded me why she has been so loved for so long.

Jay-Z didn't waste any time. He crept out with a single slow verse before dropping his real opener: the jazz trumpet section blared and Jay-Z spit fire on a version of "Roc Boys" that felt like it could tear the roof off of Amway Arena. It was unbelievable. Watching him rhyme was like watching Michael Jordan in 1996: not only was he the greatest, he knows it.

He astounded me by the different ways he could use his band: the jazz touch of Reasonable Doubt's "Can I Live", the Latin horns of "Encore", the guitar thrash of "99 Problems", the screeching organ of "Public Service Announcement", and the full-out pop jam of "Izzo". The band didn't waver one second through the gorgeous closer "Heart of the City" with Mary J.

I have one complain about this concert, and it has nothing to do with the musicians: Orlando has no soul. Why was everybody sitting? If Jay-Z, Mary J Blige, and a 18+ piece band can't move you, you should probably check your pulse.

This concert was one of the greatest musical experiences I've ever had. If you go to this tour, don't be ashamed to dance. The entire house will probably be moving (unless you are in Orlando).

You've never felt hip-hop like this before.

No comments: