Monday, March 17, 2008

Protest The Hero's Fortress

It has been a while since I've picked up a metal album. Since I've been on a big country music kick lately, I was definitely overwhelmed by the speed of this album. Just try to count the time signature of any track here: it will make your hurt.

Anyway, this is a great album with suprisingly wonderful melodies. The singing is more emo than metal, which isn't surprising since it's on the Vagrant label (home to Dashboard Confessional). In a split second, this singer can go from death metal growl to emo cry to hair metal scream; that's a pretty impressive trick that keeps me interested for 41 minutes. Plus, great surprises like the piano part in "Spoils" and the flash bass solo in "Palms Read" kept me guessing even after hearing them a few times.

If you like prog metal but you think the Mars Volta are too over the top, you'll like Fortress. I don't care how old you are, we all need a good thrash and scream once in a while.

No comments: