Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Robyn Hitchcock and a few other notes

- Take a look at the White Stripes on the last Conan performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijh3sUu7kEc

I think adorable is the word I'm looking for here. I don't think Meg even knows how to play guitar. I love it.

- I bought the new Robyn Hitchcock album, Goodnight Oslo. The arrangements are more fun on the second half of the record, particularly the soul ballad "TLC" and the horn/banjo combo in "Up To Our Nex". However, you first have to get through the pure stupidity of "Saturday Groovers" to get to these tracks. This album is like a combination of Scott Walker 4 and REM's Out Of Time but with grating nasally vocals. Its a fun listen if you are really into British pop - otherwise, skip it.

(If you do hear this record, tell me if this guy reminds you of the singer of that horrible Christmas song on the movie Love, Actually. I'm not kidding.)

- I think I fixed the new Bruce Springsteen album. Put it on your iPod and delete "Outlaw Pete", "Queen Of The Supermarket", "Good Eye", and "Surprise, Surprise". Make the title track the opener and put "The Wrestler" in the middle. Now you have a good album. If this weren't the digital age, this album would have remained a complete trainwreck.

- Rolling Stone gave the new U2 album 5 stars! Oh wait, they gave the new Springsteen album 5 stars. Maybe they can redeem themselves. I'll let you know next week.

No comments: