Thursday, February 19, 2009

Dark Was The Night

Aaron and Bryce Dressner released the Dark Was The Night compilation this week, which includes what several publications have referred to as the "who's who in indie rock". Here are a couple highlights:

"Train Song" by Ben Gibbard and Feist - Ben can harmonize? Really? Why doesn't he try to do this in a few Death Cab For Cutie songs? Maybe he'll try this on their next record...

"Brackett, WI" by Bon Iver - Beautiful, soft, hypnotic - Sufjan Stevens better put out an album before this guy replaces him.

"So Far Around The Bend" by The National - Reminds me of a more upbeat "Karen", but more catchy. I can't wait to hear another record from them.

"Feeling Good" by My Brightest Diamond - Soulful in a creepy Portishead way. I love that indie rock has recently discovered soul music.

"I Was Young When I Left Home" by Antony and Bryce Dressner - Amazingly, Antony singing Bob Dylan has worked twice now. I couldn't have called that one.

"Big Red Machine" by Aaron Dressner and Justin Vernon - The highlight of this album. A must hear worthy of Boxer or For Emma, Forever Ago. If Bon Iver shows up on the next National album, I'm buying ten copies.

"You Are The Blood" by Sufjan Stevens - What is going on here? This is the strangest thing he has recorded since his Enjoy Your Rabbit album. Interesting, but I hope he doesn't do an entire album like this.

"El Caporal" by My Morning Jacket - Flowing southern rock that drives on a saxophone hook. This is infinitely better than anything on their last record.

"With A Girl Like You" by David Sitek - Droning techno meets bouncy pop. Give us a solo album, Dave.

...and I didn't even mention new tracks by Spoon or the Arcade Fire. This compilation goes for $16 bucks for 32 songs on iTunes. It has a few duds: the Decemberists go nowhere for 8 minutes and David Byrne and the Dirty Projectors make an irritating combo. However, for that price, you can edit it and find some real gems here.

Plus, proceeds go to HIV research. You get some great songs, some great artists get some new material out there, and a charity gets a few bucks. What's not to love?

No comments: