Saturday, September 27, 2008

New Music Binge!!!

I just got back from a Baltimore business trip where I purchased a ridiculous amount of new music:

- Metallica - Death Magnetic: Admit it, you've missed them. I think just about everybody is in denial about how much they like Metallica. Even though this album is not a classic or might even be forgotten in two years, it's just a fun metal record and it's the best thing they've done in 15 years. It will probably be the first album ever remembered more for how it sounded on Guitar Hero or Rock Band than how it sounded on a radio or CD player. Whether that was a compliment or not is up to you.

- Opeth - Watershed: I love this band on paper, I'm just not sure if I enjoy listening to them. That undoubtedly qualifies them to be the new torch-bearers for prog rock (sorry, Dream Theater, your days are numbered). This is a beautiful album with amazing twists and mind-blowing instrumentation, but I'm not sure if I can remember a single song from it. Catchy melodies aren't really their thing, but then again, they are a metal band. If you like metal or prog, you aren't going to do better than this.

- Gaslight Anthem - '59 Sound: This might be the mindless feel-good album of the year. Nothing special really, just a catchy, uncomplicated pop album (the complete opposite of that Opeth record). The singer is a combination of Bruce Springsteen and Paul Westerberg, so every song he sings sounds like a dying battle cry. The title track is so catchy it should be on every radio station, while "Miles Davis & The Cool" is the best jazz legend tribute I've ever heard from a punk band (OK, it's the only one). Play this one at a summer party if you want to feel young again.

- Beach House - Devotion: Is "folk drone music" actually a genre now? There are some weird things coming out of Baltimore right now. This album is so airy and light, its 45 minutes might go by without you noticing. The flourishes of church organ and atmospheric guitar sweeping in and out make it a beautifully layered and romantic sounding album. The slightly atonal singing can be grating at moments, but it usually blends as just another instrument. This is great dinner conversation music or great music to do drugs to, depending on who you are.

- Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue: I'm still not sure if I love or hate this. I'll get back to you....

2 comments:

Mike said...

The Metallica album kinda blows, IMO. If the band was anyone other than METALLICA it would be seeing the $5 bin somewhere soon. They haven't been good in a long time, which is a shame b/c I want them to be good again.

Opeth is amazing. End of story. Have you heard their cover of "Breed," the Nirvana song? It's pretty great.

laurbeth said...

I am an uninitiated Opeth fan. This is the first album I've bought by them. Which one do i get next?