Monday, September 8, 2008

Leftovers, notes, etc.

- Last week, I mentioned September's new releases, but I somehow overlooked the fact that one of my favorite bands have a new record on September 23. I don't know how I missed this one. TV On The Radio will put out Dear Science, and the first impressions are amazing. Look them up on myspace to hear clips from two tracks. I'm not going to say anything about them right now, because I will probably be ranting for weeks about how great this band it. I'll wait until the entire record comes out to do that.

- I heard some of the new Brian Wilson album and like everybody, I can't help but be disappointed. Instead of another collaboration with the great Van Dyke Parks, we get a Brian Wilson solo album where Van Dyke Parks pitches in a few "spoken narratives". So what we get is a rehash of a solo career nobody cared about before Smile and nobody will care about after Smile. Skip it. If you want to hear good Brian Wilson, listen to Fleet Foxes or Panda Bear, not Brian Wilson. How sad is that?

- Read Rolling Stone's review of the new Metallica album. They deliver the single funniest music analogy I've ever read: they compare Metallica's new album to Russia's invasion of the Republic of Georgia. My hats off to you. That's hilarious. Unless you are from the Republic of Georgia.

- I've heard two new songs from the new Okkervil River album; one was excellent, one was mediocre. Reviews so far are shaky. Come on, guys - don't pull a My Morning Jacket on us. I'll review this one in a couple of days...

No comments: