Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Vampire Weekend

I don't typically find a lot of debut albums that are worth getting excited over. In the past few years, I've been amazed by debut albums by Arcade Fire, Interpol, and the Strokes, but that's about it.

I just picked up the debut album by a new internet-hyped sensation called Vampire Weekend. The first thing that amazed me about this album is that it is sold at Target. I thought bands like this had to gain some status before the get sold at grocery stores, so the fact that they sold it there made me feel obligated to buy it (this is how my backwords logic works).

Getting past that, I was amazed how many good ideas this band packed into 34 minutes. They have this idea that African music can work alongside that New York indie-punk sound that the Strokes helped bring back (that is, before the Strokes ruined it). They also don't shy away from using harpsicords and violins as lead instruments as opposed to only guitar. If these ideas are so simple, why have so few bands tried them?

One of my favorites on this album is "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa"; you can't listen to this song without thinking about Paul Simon's Graceland. I also love "Bryn", where they work a fun guitar lead around a trippy rhythm. Please, just go hear the whole album, and don't be ashamed to dance in your room when nobody's looking.

Two great albums in January? Ok, maybe this will be a great year.

No comments: